Burdock Root

Today I learned about Burdock Root. It's an ugly little thing that grows wild. I guess it's fairly abundant in Vermont. I'm not sure if it grows other places or where. It looks very similar to a toxic plant & can be easily confused. So like mushrooms, you should not gather from the wild unless you know what you're doing.

From what I've read, it looks like people have been using it a number of years for detoxing. But aside from that it's tea is supposed to have medicinal qualities. In addition it is said to increase lactation for breastfeeding women, but a uterine stimulant to stay away from during pregnancy. Burdock is used as a blood purifier, diuretic, and as a topical remedy for acne and other skin issues.

I do believe I am going to be buying some of this at our farmers market & add it to my detox diet. I will be able to use it in my tea & cut the root up like carrots in my soups & stews.

Comments

Popular Posts