Losing Weight: Feeling Great

Have you ever noticed when someone tells you about their new diet, all they talk about is what they’re not allowed to eat? I certainly have; all I can say is that’s exactly why I don’t like trying out the new diets that come on the market.

In all, my honey and I have 6 kids; his, mine, & ours. After the birth of the first 3, I never had a problem losing the baby weight. I noticed as I aged, and we continued to have children, that the weight doesn’t just melt off like it did when I was younger. I believe I am experiencing that dreaded slowing metabolism everyone talks about. I’ve heard rumors that this process starts in your 30’s.

About a year ago, I started making some changes in my life in order to feel better & in all honesty I was hoping to see smaller numbers when I stepped on the scale.
Fresh Raspberries from our CSA


Some of my motivators were:
  •  Weight loss
  •  To rid myself of back pain
  •  To be able to jump, run, & play with my kids
  •  To hike the Long Trail with my honey
  •  To feel better in general


Because I’m not a negative person by nature & would rather seek out the positive in life, I chose to keep my focus on what I can do instead of what I cannot. After careful consideration and lots of instruction from my personal trainer, I compiled the following list things I can do.

  
  • Set goals
  • Eat 5-7 small meals a day
  • Buy locally grown organic foods, direct from farmers; join a CSA
  • Eat whole foods with no preservatives
  • Eat wild or free range meats: seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, and eggs with no added hormones or antibiotics
  • Drink organic almond milk or coconut milk: chocolate is my favorite
  • Eat organic Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cultured butter (not margarine), whole cheeses, fresh and sour cream.
  • Use oils rich in omega 3’s: cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, sesame, flax, coconut and palm oils.
  • Eat raw, organic, fresh fruits and vegetables when available; frozen is second best.
  • Eat almonds and almond butter: they’re brain food
  • Prepare stocks by boiling veggies, bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use it to make home-made soups and to saute foods.
  • Drink lots of water: add lemon, cucumber & mint, it’s divine.
  • Use Real salt (it’s pink not white) and fresh herbs
  • Make your own salad dressing using vinegar and olive oil or try home-made stock with Italian herbs and evoo.
  • Use natural sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup.
  • Become mobile: walk around the block, in the Mall, or on a treadmill. Anything that increases stimulation; I like riding my bike.

Our Blueberry Bush



When I started out on this trek last year, I began using My Fitness Pal  on my computer & linked it to my blog so others could see my progress. I’ve made some friends on the app that help to keep me motivated as time goes on. Feel free to check my progress on the side-bar; I started out with 30 pounds to lose. 






Soon to come… 
  1. Goal setting & progress tracking printouts
  2. The Can’s of a healthy fitness lifestyle
  3. Things to Avoid
  4. The Benefits of Meal Planning
  5. Some Yummy Recipes
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt
A Peck of Goof-balls at the apple orchard




Feel free to leave a comment below,
I'd love to hear all about your weight loss challanges and successes.









Comments

Popular Posts