Vermont's Long Trail

There's a trail that Vermonters like to hike that's called the Long Trail. It was built between 1910 and 1930 by the Green Mountain Club and is the oldest long-distance trail in the United States. It runs the distance of the state from north to south. The Long Trail was the inspiration for the infamous Appalachian Trail; the two trails intersect and become one in the southern 1/3 of the state for 100 miles.

Illustration and graphic design by Dave Blumenthal

As it winds its way from Massachusetts to Canada along Vermont's highest peaks, the trail passes ponds, alpine bogs, forests, and streams. With its 273-mile footpath, 175 miles of side trails, and nearly 70 primitive shelters, the Long Trail offers endless hiking opportunities for the day hiker, weekend overnighter, and extended backpacker. (info taken from greenmountainclub.org)

I’ve been wanting to hike the Long Trail ever since I first heard about it -- which was about 2 years ago when I moved to Vermont. I am finally almost to the point of being able to give it a go. I’ve been working out trying to get my cardio up all winter in order to be fit enough for the hike. Soon my little ones will be old enough to either go with us or have a week long stay with their aunt & uncle.

When we finally do take the plunge & get out on the trail, we will have some great pics to post and a pretty awesome adventure to blog about I’m sure. Until then, I would suggest checking out the information that is available at from the Green Mountain Club. They're an organization that cares about keeping Vermont beautiful and that is A-Okay in my book. For more information log onto their web-site greenmountainclub.org.


Comments

Popular Posts